Former GSP associate Benjamin Madley’s An American Genocide: The United States and the California Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873 was published last year by the Yale University Press. As a recent article in the Yale GSAS newsletter notes, it has garnered several accolades in recent months, including:
- 2017 Los Angeles Times Book Prize for History,
- 2017 Commonwealth Club Gold Medal for Californiana,
- 2016 Heyday Books History Prize,
- New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice,
- 2016 Indian Country Today Hot List book, and
- 2016 Choice magazine Outstanding Academic Title.
The research underpinning the book was conducted while Medley, now at UCLA, was a graduate student in Yale’s history department, wher ehis advisors included Ben Kiernan, the founding director of the GSP.